Wednesday 12 December 2012

It's the end of the world and all I have to show for it is this lousy blog post.

It can't just be a coincidence that the predicted end of the world and a North Korean rocket launch are happening so close together, can it?

This writer says no. They're definitely linked. One will lead to the other and we're all irreversibly screwed. Don't panic though, while humanity may be doomed to a slow, painful death at the hands of nuclear toxins sent from a man who shares a scarily similar haircut to one I used to have, technology will likely survive the blast and live long into the future to show off to the next millennium's dominant race (I reckon pigeons) every word we have ever said on a digital platform.

 
Are we the same person?
So what will be the lasting memory that you leave behind after your flesh bound soul has long since vanished from this earth we call our home? As Twitter revealed how well its year had gone we can begin to get a sense of the sort of stuff we talk about the most and what is seen as being the most interesting within our networks. I, for example, discovered that whenever I talk about how unpopular I am with women (How? Have you seen how sexy I look in that picture?) it attracts a lot of feedback, mainly from people laughing. However whenever I talk about my football team very few people seem to care because outside of this city no-one knows who they are. 


This is all the sort of stuff people will be able to find out in the years to come. Our records are digitally imprinted onto history every time we type a word or upload a photo, everything you ever tweet or blog or put on Facebook will stay there forever in some form and people will be able to find it with just a few clicks of a button. We're inadvertently creating our own legacies here and now.

Am I happy that mine so far consists of sarcastic tweets about girls that have rejected me or the occasional LinkedIn endorsement? No, I'll start working on it. But there's only 9 days left to do anything about it, so my work best be quick.